Creating and editing accounts requires the Tempo Account Administrator permission.
You can create accounts to organize the logged time data in your organization. There are different reasons you may want to do this, such as for the purpose of invoicing customers or tracking your capitalized expenses (Capex). You can associate a customer to an account, but it's not required.
A powerful feature with Tempo accounts is that you can connect the accounts to the Jira projects that you and your organization will be working on, which lets employees then log their time to a specific account. Doing this will help you organize your data easily later on in reports; for example, you can filter a Logged Time report by the accounts and get a clear view of how much time has been spent on each one.
To create an account:
- Select Accounts in the Tempo sidebar.
- Click the +Create Account button at the top-right.
- Fill in the Create Account form:
- Name - A descriptive name for the account. The combination of the account name and key is used to display the account in Jira issues or in the Log Time form in Tempo Timesheets, depending on configuration.
- Key - The account key needs to be unique for the account. A suggested key based on the account name is auto-generated, but you can enter any value you like. The key can use letters (a-z, A-Z), digits (0-9), underscore ("_"), dash ("-") or a dot ("."). You cannot change the key after the account is created.
- Lead - The account lead is responsible for the account. You can either select an existing Jira user's name or simply enter a name.
- Category - Optional. Select a category to associate with the account from the dropdown. The account category is a way to group different cost centers and work activities, such as Development or Marketing. There are four types of categories you can use: Billable, Capitalized, Operational, and Internal.
To create or edit categories, click the settings icon at the top-right, and select Categories.
Customer - Optional. Select a customer to associate with the account from the drop-down menu. The customer does not need to be an outside customer, it may simply be a way to group together a common entity (Jira projects or cost centers) of your definition for the projects linked to the account.
Contact - Optional. Depending on the purpose of the account, for internal or external use, the contact may or may not be a Jira user.
- Projects - Select the projects that include issues you will be logging time on for this account. You can link more than one project to an account.
- If you want to create another account, check the Create another box.
- When you are finished, click Create.
You can create a global account that is linked to all projects. To do so, first create an account as described above, then:
- Click the Account name in the list to access the Account Overview.
- Under Links to Projects, select the Make this account global checkbox.
Editing Account Information
You can edit the following information about an account: account name, customer, category, status, monthly budget, lead, and contact.
- In the Accounts view, click the name of the account you want to edit.
- You can edit the account Name, Customer, Category, Monthly Budget, Lead, and Contact. The account Key cannot be changed after the account is created.
Adding a Monthly Budget
Monthly Budget is used to display a status of hours worked vs the budget for the selected month. This is displayed in the Account Monthly Budget Burn-up Chart gadget available in Tempo Timesheets. In the Accounts view, enter the hours that can be spent on the account during the period in the Monthly Budget field.
Tempo Account Monthly Budget Burn-up Chart